• 27 more school days 'till graduation!

Humans of Rangel: Valentine’s Day

Daniela Ocampo, Reporter

“I don’t think that Valentines day is just for couples to celebrate, I believe that everyone who wants to participate in it can. Valentine’s day to me is a day for people to express the love and care that they feel for one another, it’s a day for friends and family too. I spent Valentine’s day, like everybody else, at school but since me and my best friend don’t have boyfriends, we decided to show each other how appreciative we are for one another and how much we love and care for each other with gifts. They were not big gifts or anything, just something from the heart. I don’t think that gifts are a necessity for Valentine’s day, a simple gesture like a hug or an “I love you” is enough.”

– Consuelo Perez (9)

“I had gifts and everything ready for my girlfriend, and the morning of Valentine’s day, I woke up throwing up. I felt really bad because it was going to be our first Valentine’s day together and I wasn’t going to be able to spend it with her, I felt like I disappointed her and I disappointed myself. I wished that I could’ve been with her but there was a possibility that I would’ve thrown up on her and I don’t think anybody would’ve appreciated it. So instead, we celebrated a day after and it was still like if it actually was Valentine’s day; I am kind-of upset because I missed the advisory parties.”

– Gabriela Hernandez (9)

“I am not single, but I was, and a message that goes out to all of the single people is don’t beat yourself over it. I know that when days like these come around it’s kind-of hard not to but relationships come at their own time so don’t spend the day mourning for something you don’t have; instead be happy celebrate and love the things you do have, Valentine’s isn’t a day that only couples can celebrate. And a message for those who are afraid to show their true colors (rainbows), don’t be embarrassed or scared of showing people who you love. Being able to love another human being is one of the most extraordinary things we are capable of feelings and should not be missed out on.”

– Maria Lopez (9)

“As we all know, parents have a strong influence on their children and when you try to think for yourself, sometimes they don’t accept it. My parents don’t celebrate Valentine’s day, they have never explained to me why though. I, on the other hand, do celebrate Valentine’s day, not at home but at school. To me Valentine’s day is a day to show how much you appreciate someone, whether they are your friend, partner, or pet. Irma Rangel YWLS is my haven, my safe place, I can be who I am without the fear of somebody to say that I am not acceptable and to judge me. I myself have a girlfriend, and I did buy her a gift, but I have never thought that gifts are a necessity. I have a friend who also has a girlfriend and he and his girlfriend have been together for a couple of years now and they have never bought each other gifts. They feel like every couple expects to receive a gift on that day which isn’t what Valentine’s day is about; and I agree with him, Valentine’s day isn’t about the gifts and yet society has made it seem like that. Sure gifts are nice, but they’re not the reason for why I celebrate Valentine’s day.”

– Maëlys Ci (8)