• 27 more school days 'till graduation!

Getting to know Erica Muñoz

Daniela Ocampo, Reporter

What is your full name?

Erica Muñoz

How long have you been here at Irma Rangel YWLS?

Since 6th grade so this is my fourth year here

How has Rangel treated you?

At first Rangel wasn’t hard but then as I got older, I got more work and I started to get stressed, mainly because I wasn’t used to it. Now that I’m a freshman, I’m stuck under a pile of anxiety and stress because I’m a big procrastinator. I wish I would’ve “trained”  myself to do my homework with time instead of waiting until the last minute. I really want to hopefully learn to manage my time more.

How has Rangel changed you?

I’ve discovered a lot about myself. I’ve learned and accepted my weaknesses and I’ve gotten to know my strengths as well. It’s taught me to be more responsible, mainly because elementary was very easy and didn’t require a lot, but once you enter middle school, everything changes. You have to be responsible for everything that you do, you’re more independent. That can sometimes be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing. It’s a good thing because you don’t have your teachers on your back 24/7 telling you to do your work but at the same time I miss having my teachers reminding my to do my work because I’m forgetful.

Would you decide to move to a different school?

I’m actually currently debating over that. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rangel and the environment here and all of my friends but I also feel like there’s more out there for me. Other schools have more things to offer me than Rangel, such as more languages other than just Spanish and French, more electives, and better opportunities for my college education. I want to learn things like American Sign Language (ASL), I want to have more options for my electives such as military. I also would like to have more than one sport available at my school, I would probably be in sport teams if I had more options.

What has Rangel given you?

It has given me so many different experiences. It has given me different learning experiences, but most importantly, it has given me one united family.

What non-academic thing have you learned here?

I’ve learned that you can’t rush relationships. Relationships aren’t a joke, they take a lot of time and you have to be ready to be there for your partner. You have to be able to dedicate most of your time to that relationship. Most importantly, you need to learn to love yourself before you decide to try and love somebody else. Some people now how to balance school and jobs and relationships and others need more time. Other people don’t even have time to think about relationships because they have put their education first, and I admire that. Everybody is at a different place in the relationship stuff, when a person is ready to date, they’ll know. I myself am currently in a relationship and I love it.

Anything that you have learned about yourself with the help of Rangel?

I’ve learned about girl empowerment. That I’m beautiful no matter what society says. Many girls on social media put other girls down when we need to stick together. I’ve learned what having a family by heart and not by blood is like, and let me tell you, it’s one of the greatest things ever. Overall, I’ve learned that I can break the glass ceiling and that I am capable of doing everything that a man does.