Softball Life

Photo credits to the mother of a softball player

Erin Ledesma is a sophomore who is very passionate about Softball. She is one of the many students that have joined another school due to the lack of sports at Rangel. Ledesma used to play in select softball but now she plays for fall ball at her home high school, Sunset. Erin practices daily, unless practices get cancelled, except on Sundays. Saturdays are her game days where she competes against other teams.

Although being in a team has its perks, one of the challenges of being in a team is that “Not all the girls work their hardest to be the best they can be … also those girls [who] don’t try at all bring us down.” However, being in a team has helped her immensely in opening up her world and allowing her to meet different people that have greatly impacted her life. Since her practices last 2 hours, when asked why she kept on playing softball if practices took a lot of her time she responded with, “I’ve been playing softball almost all my life and I just love playing and I can’t stop.” Therefore, she stays up late doing her homework just so that she can finish it in time.

Some of the changes she has encountered throughout her softball years are meeting new people. Ledesma said, “I meet new people and sometimes new coaches and I’ve experienced a lot of different changes as in the style of coaching and how they see the sport but its opened my mind to different things and realize there is different ways to play the game and learning techniques.” Although she barely has time to do homework, she really encourages students to go out to their home schools to join sports that Rangel doesn’t provide. Ledesma said, “In playing I have been able to become a good person and a teammate and [it has] helped me work together with others.” This reveals that softball is not only a sport where you can have fun but it also teaches life lessons that can change the way an individual thinks or acts.